Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 20:52:20 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Tom Hines <tomhines2@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 40upgrade kit

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 07:58:25PM -0400, Tom Hines wrote:

> >Hi.  Relative newbie here.  I was browsing the freebsd web site the other
> >day and noticed the section on upgrade kits at
> >http://www.freebsd.org/ports/.  Because I run 4.0-RELEASE, I installed the
> >4.0 to 4-stable upgrade kit, and now I can't install any ports.  It fails
> >on
> >fetch with the message "bad system call".  I noticed that one of the files
> >upgraded by the kit was libc.so, which is a symlink that was pointing to
> >libc.so.3 and now points to the new libc.so.4.  I suspect that might be the
> >problem.
> >
> >I tried deleting the package with pkg_delete, but got a message saying that
> >was impossible because it would render my system useless.  What can I do?
> >Can I just point libc.so back to libc.so.3?  I vaguely recall a utility to
> >do such things called ldd or something but I can't remember.
>
> Whoa.  It's much worse than I thought.  Now none of my devices work.
> They're either not found or not configured.  What happened?  I need to
> reverse that upgrade kit, but it deleted my old libc.so.3.  Please help.

I don't know if you've received or still need any more help with this,
Tom (I don't follow freebsd-questions), but there seems to be a problem
with that upgrade kit, which is being investigated.

Keep your eye on the problem report at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=21997
for any updates.

Meanwhile, having installed this package to two machines myself today,
and losing most of their connection to the outside world in the process,
I would caution anyone else not to use 40upgrade.tgz it until the above
URL gives the all clear.