Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2006 00:32:05 +0000
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Mathieu Prevot <freebsd-stable@club-internet.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usbd / moused oddity

Mathieu Prevot wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I remarked something I don't understand. I have a usb mouse, and if I
>just have usbd_enable="YES" and moused_enable="NO" in rc.conf I can have a
>functionnal mouse after boot. If I go to single-user mode from multi-user
>mode and then back to multi-user mode with ^d, I don't have the process moused.
>In the last case, I need to set moused_enable="YES" and moused_port="/dev/ums0".
>
>I use FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #32: Tue Feb 21 02:30:25 CET 2006 amd64

(Assuming you have up-to-date devd.conf and usbd.conf): On first boot
the kernel pushes a list of devices the kernel found to devd, including
your mouse which isn't attached to moused yet.  devd fires up moused for
your mouse and life is happy.

You take the system single user, and everything is killed off (including
devd, and moused).  When you take the system multi-user again, devd is
restarted but the kernel has already pushed the list of devices out and
will only push new devices to devd, so moused will not be automatically
restarted.