Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 12:04:36 -0500 (CDT)
To:        Lee Reese <lee@gwinnett.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web Server Linux to FreeBSD

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Lee Reese wrote:

> Hi.  I'm in the process of converting our web server from Slackware
> Linux to FreeBSD (Apache).  We need a down and dirty way to transfer the
> /etc/passwd file to a format the FreeBSD understands.  Please resopnd
> via e-mail.  Thanks.
>
> Lee

  I would format the password file to fit FreeBSD standards ( make sure to
have the passwd file not be shadowed ).  We had to do this from IRIX to
FreeBSD so what we did was format the file using perl and put in all the
used :: entries.  Then run "vipw" on your FreeBSD machine.  Do a Ctrl-R to
read in a file and read in that file.  Save and you've added all those
users...