Date:      05 Nov 1999 02:11:28 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp slowdown

Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> writes:

> I just cvsupped to 3.3-STABLE over the weekend.  Has anyone seen a
> slowdown or other connection problems with user ppp?  I am watching my
> entire system slowdown dramatically.  Navigator takes forever to
> load..  there isn't even any disk activity for about 30 seconds.
> Then, as soon as i shut down ppp, the window appears.  I've had to go
> back to KPPP to connect.

It does not seem to be the case with my user-ppp, but if you're
downloading a lot of things, it could be some other thing, like user-ppp
taking a lot of cpu?  Anyway, Navigator takes forever to load on my
machine even without ppp loaded.  I don't use the time navigator needs
to load as a performance measure, since I'm suspecting that it needs
just a lot of memory to load fast... which my 32 Mb machine does not
have anyway.

Try this.  When you're connected and the ppp link is up and running, run
top(1) on a terminal and see who's eating up all that cpu.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]