Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 13:14:14 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        attila! <attila@hun.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: POSTFIX-- Wietse: tweak and go! --pkg & port: both duds

At 7:02 AM +0000 2000/10/8, attila! wrote:

>  (a) pick a directory and 'tar -zxf snapshot-20000531.tar.gz'
>
>  (b) 'cd snapshot-20000531'

	Three things:

		1.  You don't tell people where to get the postfix software.

			Start with <http://www.postfix.org/ftp-sites.html>, and
			select a mirror site close to you.

		2.  You mention the use of snapshots, but this is not
			recommended practice for sites new to postfix.  Instead,
			start with the most recent "release" version, e.g.,
			postfix-19991231-pl09.

			According to Wietse, the "snapshot" versions are:

				Work-in-progress code, subject to change, needs
				testing before it can become an official release.

			However, these versions are what he runs on his own
			systems, so it's probably better than the official
			"production" release version of code from most anyone
			else.

		3.  If you want to build postfix with libraries that Wietse
			does not consider "standard" for your platform, this
			will take just a bit more work.  I have a "MAKEAS"
			script that I keep at the root of my
			/usr/local/src/postfix directory structure, and whenever
			I go to build a new version, I just execute:

				$ sh ../MAKEAS

			And it does all the "hard" preparation work for me,
			which I can then just follow up with a:

				$ make; sh INSTALL.sh

			According to the instructions.

			Currently, my MAKEAS script contains the following (with
			backslashes to escape the line-breaks I manually added to
			prevent mis-wrapping):

				make makefiles CCARGS="-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB/include \
				-DHAS_DB -DPATH_DB_H='<db_185.h>' \
				-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB/lib" AUXLIBS="-ldb" \
				LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB/lib" LIBS="-ldb" \
				SYSLIBS="-ldb"

			Note that this implies that on this machine I have
			previously built and installed the Berkeley db 2.7.7 (built
			with "../dist/configure  --enable-compat185", because
			postfix uses only the db 1.85 interfaces) and BIND
			8.2.2-P5 (or whatever the latest version is that you
			want to install) packages.  Note that Berkeley db 3.0
			installs in a slightly different directory, and that
			I've had problems with it causing runtime failures, etc....

	Recent snapshot releases have added features for performing
simple one line body_check regexp matching (like the older
header_check), added support for DSNs, and a new "fast ETRN" feature
that will avoid flushing the entire queue when a single site wants
mail for them to be flushed (which now makes postfix more suitable
for use at an ISP that provides backup MX services for its customers).

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium