Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 10:49:27 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        Generic Player <generic@unitedtamers.com>, Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IE for FreeBSD Petition

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 09:10:51AM -0500, Brennan W Stehling wrote:
> I use MacOS and FreeBSD as an alternative to Windows and Microsoft
> software because I prefer it.  I also do it to avoid MS software because I
> do not wnat to support that company in any way.
>
> Conversely, I purchase (not pirate) copies of MacOS to support Apple.  I
> also purchase FreeBSD products from cdrom.com and clothing from
> copyleft.net.  It is all about voting with my dollar bill.
>
> The reason MS stays on top is that people keep on buying and using their
> software.  The create proprietary formats and people call them the
> standards (Excel for spreadsheets and Word for word processing).  With
> that in place it is hard to alternatives to gain ground unless there is an
> element which simply does not use MS software and uses alternatives like
> Star Office, Gnome or KDE applications.

	[[ ... ]]

> Sure the "MS Sux" attitude is childish, but if these people presented
> themselves in a better way, perhaps you would agree with them.
>
> Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
> projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

	I believe this says it as succiently as possible!  Some of
	you may have read about my Unix-bigotry in DaemonNews years
	ago.  The main reason to support this paradigm is simply
	becausee of its superiority; another reason is to knock
	M$oft down a few notches.

	Supporting the Freenix movement by shelling out a few dollars/year
	for CD's is a start; volunteering your time and labor is that
	much better; buying CD's and volunteering is better still.

	gary