Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 1998 07:30:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to make a non-dangerously dedicated disk?

As the subject says: I want to create a non-dangerously dedicated disk
but without using sysinstall. The reason is, I want to make an exact
copy of the present system (2.2.6) but can't use the dangerously dedicated
mode because the new disk will go into another broken Siemens PC.

Normally, I do

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd1 count=100
disklabel -wrB sd1 auto
disklabel -e sd1
newfs, ...

which creates a dangerously dedicated disk and all is well but this
disk won't boot on a Siemens system (Read error, because of their "famous"
Phoenix BIOS). A disk with a non-dangerously dedicated layout works
here but I would like to create it using dd, fdisk, disklabel,...

Thanks,

	-Andre