Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2016 00:20:52 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>, Daniil Berendeev <pipfstarrd@openmailbox.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The ports collection has some serious issues

On 8/12/2016 8:28 PM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 05:16:24AM +0000, Daniil Berendeev wrote:
>> Hello guys!
>>
>> First of all, it's not a hate mail, I appreciate all the work done on
>> the system and I enjoy using FreeBSD every day.
>>
>> But after some recent experience I'd like to point out some problems
>> that make using the ports collection uncomfortable and painful.
>>
>> Some overview before we start:
>> * Why I use ports over pkg?
>> Because, generally, packages are built with poor default options, for
>> example moc isn't able to play .alac/.mod and that's frustrating.
> Lot's of work has been done over the last years improve the default options for
> general pupose cases. Have you open an issue about that one?

but we still need a way to specify "minimum options please" to stop
dependency fanout from going too wild.
I touched a port last week that required about 200 others, a lot of
which would not have been needed for what I would call a common
functionality configuration.

> Have you considered using things like poudriere that would allow you to build
> your own repository with your own set of packages and options.
>
> You will benefit:
> - ability to use pkg for your upgrades
> - ability to use customize your packages
> - safe rebuild process (in case of broken ABI)
>
> Best regards,
> Bapt
I'm actually slowly moving to this if I can work out how to specify my
own chroot image, and a few other things I need to tweak. (my own sets
of patches to add).