Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 03:54:54 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: swap & huge mem systems

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 09:30:04PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Nowadays, what with the price of fast memory at such low levels, I'm
> buying more memory than I really need, just because it's *so* cheap, the
> price has gone up before, and it's possible (maybe likely) that next
> year's popular new app will need the memory.  I'm probably not alone in
> doing this.  It's causing me to wonder about how much swap to allocate.
>
> I used to follow the rule that I dedicate twice as much disk memory to
> swap as I have RAM.  Now, with my new system, I'm getting a gig of RAM,
> but it seems ridiculous to dedicate 2G of disk to swap.  Under these
> conditions, what's the real bottom limit (if you have one gig of RAM) for
> how much swap you can get away with?  One Gig?  Less?

Minimal amount of swap possible:  No swap at all of course.
Minimal swap if you want to be able to catch core dumps: Physical RAM
size + 64K
Minimal amount of swap you need:  Depends on what you are doing,
doesn't it?

You don't need to configure any swap at all if you think your RAM is
going to be large enough for everything you do.

OTOH, considering how cheap disk space is these days, why worry about a
gigabyte or two?  Some day you might be running some extremly memory
hungry application(s) and then you might neeed that extra swap.
Running out of swap is No Fun, and should be avoided if practical.

Personally, in your situation I would probably configure enough swap to
be able to catch a core dump and not much more, i.e. slightly more than
1G swap.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson