Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:10:02 -0700
From:      Kevin Schmidt <kps@ucsb.edu>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bridging vlans w/firewall and selective HTTP redirect?

Hi all,

I'm interested in placing an FBSD box (prefer 4.x since it's production,
though I've also used 5.2) inline on a link with 802.1Q-tagged vlans with
firewalling and selective HTTP redirects.  Bridging a couple of ethernets
isn't a problem, and it appears I can enable ipf or ipfw (but not pf; too
bad, ALTQ and pfsync would be nice).  What does not appear viable is the
interception and transparent redirect of HTTP traffic in this bridged
environment.  Anyone know of a good way to do this?

The purpose of the above is to support a wireless network where users may be
associated with various vlans, some of which will require selective traffic
filtering and transparent http redirects.  For example, there might be an
SSID for a "readme" vlan network where people could log in to a web page and
download an 802.1X supplicant.  The supplicant would be preconfigured to join
another SSID, e.g. "campus wireless", which would allow authenticated users
full Internet access.  If a particular user is known to have a
compromised/infected system, they'd be mapped to a quanantine vlan, which
ideally would block most traffic and redirect them to a web page with
additional information and remediation tools.  Similar techniques would be
used to support an https login process that would selectively open the
firewall for authenticated users.  I'm sure someone reading this is
wondering, "why not do the web redirects on a routed interface instead of
with an inline bridge, since redirects at an L3 interface work?"  The answer
is scalability and roaming:  I'd like routing to be done at a couple of
upstream Cisco boxes, with two or more FBSD boxes inline on the downstream
vlans supporting wireless and (ultimately) some wired ports.  I'll do it
routed if I must, but it would be great if I could redirect locally at the
bridge.

I'm looking at Linux/OpenBSD/NetBSD, too, though I've always preferred FBSD
(still have my 1.x CDs) and have happily used it for DNS, web, ftp, etc.
servers for years.

Any suggestions/comments/questions welcome.

Cheers,

--
Kevin Schmidt
Campus Network Programmer