Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2004 10:19:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Simon1 <simon1@server.simon1.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Run away CPU FreeBSD 4.9 Release #0

[snip]

> > Some processes run away with the CPU.  Screen is one of the worst offenders
> > along with python..
> > The CPU starts out at about 15% and slowly ramps up to 100%.
> > As the % ramps up, the priority increases up to about 60
> > If more than one screen is launched, then the will share the CPU but the
> > priority still sits about 60.

[..]

> What's the actual problem?  Are important programs failing to get cycles?

I don't know the reason for the issue, but I too have had many problems
with screen. (4.8 or 4.9 box?) It works, it just uses up all the CPU
available. (Starting at 0.x percent going up to 100 percent) The fix was
to build the screen port, and the problem(s) went away.

I don't remember specifically on which releases this issue occurs, I do
know that it's been more than just a single one. I've had the same issue
on several different systems as well.

Just build screen from ports and the issue will go away. I haven't
(directly) used python before, but it's always been built from ports as a
dependency of another port. That might have something to do with it.

-Wolfe