Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 23:18:31 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

On Sat, Dec 11, 1999 at 02:48:12PM -0700, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

>     Dieter> Why would you want to define "correct" numbering the
>     Dieter> non-spread-out numbering? Or did I misunderstand you?  I
>     Dieter> have all my disks as master drives on the channels. Now,
>     Dieter> when I hook up another disk for backup or maintenance
>     Dieter> purposes, my numbering is messed up.
>
> Or worse, on a file server where you lose a low-numbered disk, not
> only does that one go away, but everything higher numbered loses as
> well. This "feature" does nothing other than introduce a gratuitous
> backwards-incompatibility. There is nothing wrong with the "old" scheme.
> I've loathed this behaviour since it was introduced into SCSI/CAM,
> and would rejoice at its removal.

I don't see why one should not wire-down the SCSI devices to whatever
one's preference is. This works just brilliantly. But maybe it is
that me having a small mountain of StorageWorks hotplug SCSI devices
makes me defensive in this respect..

W/
--
Wilko Bulte 		Arnhem, The Netherlands	  - The FreeBSD Project
    			WWW : http://www.tcja.nl  http://www.freebsd.org