Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:59:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, "Defryn, Guy" <G.P.Defryn@massey.ac.nz>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: print server

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 April 2002 01:45 am, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:

> | > People have been recommending Samba and various sorts of print filters,
> | > but you may not need that level of complexity.  The "serious" branch of
> | > Windows (NT) can send lpr print jobs.  Attach the printers to your
> | > FreeBSD machine.  Define the queues in /etc/printcap.  Install the
> | > various drivers on the Windows machines, and set them to print to an lpr
> | > "port" which is really the FreeBSD print queue.
> |
> | But you would still need samba - wouldn't you?
>
> Windows understands IP, and per this post, it understands lpr as well, so why
> would you?
Sounds ok, I only never thought or heard about it.

So I tried to print from my Win2k to my FreeBSD machine by

C:> lpr -S small -P lp hello.txt

but received an error saying, that my print server did not accept
the request (please do excuse my translation: my Win2k speaks
German).

Do I have to allow print requests somewhere?

Uli.