Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:20:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      Ralph Schreyer <schreyer@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>, <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>, <vanilla@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: alpha/24535: the function XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines of XFree 3.3.6 for alpha will hang up

Hi all,

so we built XFree86 4.0.2 on our digital 433au running FreeBSD 4.2R, but
we were not able to start neither the Xserver nor xdm. Up to now we could
not figure out why. Therefore we fetched the 3.3.6 versions of the Xserver
and xdm via sysinstall, thereby shooting half of our root-directory (much
fun :).

But after all, we compiled enlightenment against this mixed XFree86
(including the 4.0.2 libs), and now the XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines() call
works!

Perhaps it's possible to include a check of the version of XFree86 in the
Makefile of enlightenment that enables or disables the above function
call.

Thank you very much for your help and best regards,

Jan & Ralph.

P.S: Concerning the problem with the Xserver and xdm in 4.0.2 we already
mailed to the XFree people.