Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:13:18 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: in.c autoadding prefix route

--f0KYrhQ4vYSV2aJu

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 09:24:05PM +0100, Max Laier wrote:
> All,
>=20
> I know I have sent this a couple of times before, but never got anywhere.=
 This=20
> time I am set to commit!
>=20
> The attached patch (http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/in.c.patch) derived=
 from=20
> WIDE via OpenBSD in.c, rev 1.21 improves the handling of automatic prefix=
=20
> routes.
>=20
> Right now you can't have two legs into the same network. If you want to, =
you=20
> must give on of the interfaces a host address only (netmask /32). This wa=
y it=20
> is not possible to hand over the route if one of the interfaces is=20
> "removed" (however this is done in the special case).
>=20
> The patch allows to add more than on IPv4 address with the same prefix. I=
n the=20
> case that there is a route already, we leave it alone and add the new add=
ress=20
> without the IFA_ROUTE flag. When we remove an address later on, that has =
a=20
> route associated, we try to find an alternative address to use for the ro=
ute=20
> and hand it over.
>=20
> This is required for CARP, but should be helpful for other situations as =
well.

I have no objections so this change.  Does this help or hurt our quest
to be able to usefully bind to 0.0.0.0?  It would be really nice if we
could eventually do this so we could stop running bpf on 90+% of all
machines just so we could use DHCP.

-- Brooks

--f0KYrhQ4vYSV2aJu

--f0KYrhQ4vYSV2aJu--