Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:20:03 +1000
From:      Christopher Smith <drsmithy@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mergemaster -- whats the best way?

[chomp]

> Perhaps each installation performed via mergemaster can create a
> plain-text list of MD5 checksums each time it installs new files, and
> these files are automatically replaced during the next upgrade.  To be
> sure first-time upgprades to -RELEASE series occur easily, perhaps
> installation media should start including such MD5 checksums.
>
> Personally, I was thinking of hacking this feature into my own copies of
> mergemaster some time in the medium future. =)

How about an option to specify a list of files to exclude from the
comparison ?  That way, if -i is specified they are always copied over the
existing files and if not, they are omitted from any comparison altogether.
 (This is something I've been half working on myself for a while now - I
simply haven't been motivated enough to finish it - not enough upgrades to
annoy me :).

The MD5 checksums is a good idea as well, and definitely preferable from a
newbie's perspective as they are less likely to know which files to specify
on the ignore list.

P'raps even merge both ideas into one - a "preprocessor" that does the file
comparisons to find files modified since install that then passes those
files in an exclusion list...

--
Christopher Smith, Systems Administrator.
Server & Security Group, Information Technology Services.