Date:      Mon, 07 Jul 1997 00:00:00 -0700
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@rush.aero.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serious problems with iijppp demand dial -- SOLVED

	This one turned out to be a bogus route after all.  There
was an additional line in ppp.linup, which read like this:

 add MYADDR 255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1

	Now, this was an attempt to solve a different problem: when
the link IS working, attempts to telnet to myself at my assigned
IP address fail, unless there's a route installed from localhost to
that address.  Apparently the tunnel device doesn't recognize its
assigned address.

	I could argue two bugs here, one that the tunnel device
doesn't know its address, and the other, that the attempt to
install the above route hangs the ppp daemon.  Take it for what
it's worth; in any event, things are working fine now.

	Many thanks to all for their helpful suggestions.

Mike O'Brien