Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 2009 06:00:45 -0900
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.current@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some notes on RootOnZFS article in wiki

Hi,

yesterday went through the RootOnZFS (gpt mirror version) and here's a few
notes:
1) You cannot use the install CD. It doesn't have a livefs and so you can
never do the actual install in 2.2. The DVD will work and the USB image. I
ended up using the livefs CD and the USB image, cause I didn't want to loose
the work I already did.
2) `gpart set -a active -i 1 ad4' gave me 'active: device not configured'.
This error isn't mentioned (debugflags didn't help) in the wiki nor the
missing DIAGNOSTICS section in the gpart man page. In my case the system
booted, but it's nice to know what the error means and whether you can ignore
it.
3) By adding the swap partitions on the two mirrored disks to /etc/fstab top
actually shows the sum of these as available swap. My expectation is/was that
the swap would be mirrored and thus I'd have only the size of one swap
partition. If this isn't the case, can I get by with 1 of the two since
they're double the intended size or should one use 2 and thus create them half
the intended size?
4) The given mount points have sane defaults, however, I use cvs to checkout
the ports. It would be nice to have one example where data is already in a
directory tree and how one can promote it to a zfs filesystem with special
properties.

Thanks to everyone contributing to this article and keeping it current, bar
the installation media, everything was a breeze!
--
Mel