Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 1997 15:09:53 PST
From:      "Red Hat" <oneredhat@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with fs on IDE !!! Pls, HELP !!! Urgent !

Hello!!!

I hope someone will help this time too:)

I have FreeBSD 2.2.1 installed on a PC with the following
config:

Asus TXP4 motherboard
64MB SDRAM
Pentium 233MMX
AHA2490UW
Quantum Atlas II SCSI HHD
3c509 3com Ethernet combo card
S3 765 video card
some SCSI cd-rom (a good one)

It works ( or worked ?) just fine. But now i decided to
add an IDE  drive for some not so important data backup
and data exchange (the IDE HDD is installed in a removable rack)

So, since the HDD was totaly new one, i ran /stand/sysinstall
Created a new slice, then went back to lable editor and
created there a file system which is mounted in /backup, and
there i encountered a problem! It could not mount an fs and said
that partition was not ready.

Then i tried to do the whole thing manually using
newfs, disklable and mount.. same stuff, eveything works, but
mount says that the partition is not ready ane cannot mount it.

Since i needed that backup disk really badly, i decided to install
a new FreeBSD system on another pc (i had to do it anyway), and
before i installed it there, I put this HDD in it, so the install would
create a new fs  on it as well as all others. The machine i was going
to install bsd on was the same config, except it didn't have
scsi at all. It had ide hdd and ide cd-rom.

When i started install, i got the same problem. First after parttion
editor it said everything is ok, but when i pressed W in labeleditor
i said it cannot access swap partition cuz the device wasn't configured
and
then it said that root fs cannot be created at all. Tty1 said that
partition 'a' was not ready. I tried installing several times, changed
geometry between what install detected and what it really is,
tried not changing partitions and went to fs editor. Then it actually
worked
for some time (install root fs and swap), but said that it cannot mount
/usr
cuz device is not ready. I tried installing from a bootable CD-ROM, and
from
bootable flopy from cdrom, from scisi cdrom. All the same.

I don't have a clue what is going on. Sometime ago I installed FreeBSD
2.1.5
without any problem at home on a fully IDE pc. All of that i tried to do
with
WD 31200 and Quantum Fireball HDDs.

If someone has a smallest idea what is going on, please respond! There
must
be
life out there!

HELP!