Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 1996 18:12:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Brendt T. Bennett" <brendtb@intele.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help with FBSD install

On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Brendt T. Bennett wrote:

> After reading the book that came with the CDs (twice), I was not
> surprised when I could not load FreeBSD directly from my ATAPI 4X
> Creative CDROM drive.  (I also tried the _atapi.flp_ created with the
> VIEW program.)  I figured the best way would be to copy the files and
> directories needed to my large DOS disk and install from there.  Even
> after the copying, I still had plenty of space on the DOS hard disk.

Hm. Did you try moving the CD between the IDE channels?

> I then booted with the _boot.flp_ (also created with VIEW).  Things
> went fine until soon after the screen that asks if you are CERTAIN you
> want to load the system.  I then got an error message that said:
>
> Failed to load the ROOT distribution.  Please correct this problem and
> try again.

Did you put root.flp in \freebsd\floppies or in \freebsd?

> After trying the same NOVICE installation method several times with the
> same results (I did try reloading the source files and change some of
> the directory structure on the DOS disk first) I tried the CUSTOM
> installation.  I ran into problems with the EXTRACT directive.  Almost
> all the transfers gave an error message that had:
>
> Write failure on transfer...

Wrong geometry.

1)  Blow away the FreeBSD partition.
2)  make a small DOS partition on the FreeBSD disk.
3)  Delete that disk in FreeBSD install and install as before.

> Motherboard: Intel P54C/PCI (Plato), Neptune chip set, AMI BIOS;
>                Current BIOS installed: 1.00.06.1AX
> CPU:         Intel Pentium 90MHz
> Memory:      24MB 60ns w/ parity
> Video:       Number Nine GXE64 Pro, 2MB VRAM
> Monitor:     Nokia Multigraph 447X
> 1st OS:      Novell DOS 7 & MS Windows 3.1
> Floppy:      1.44MB (A:), 1.2MB (B:); using motherboard controller
> 1st HD:      Maxtor 71626 AP; 1.6GB EIDE Jumpered as master device;
>                using motherboard controller attached to PCI bus.
> 2nd HD:      Maxtor 7546 AT; 540MB EIDE Jumpered as slave device;
>                using motherboard controller attached to PCI bus.
> CDROM:       Creative 4X IDE (model CRE-JTB?), Jumpered as slave device;
>                using motherboard controller attached to ISA bus.

Your CDROM is misconfigured.  It should be jumpered single instead of
slave.

> Since I think disk geometry is the issue here, I list the following:

ding. Usually is.

> wdc1 not found at 0x170

This is significant.  Make sure wdc1 and CD is configured right; then your
CDROM should show up when using atapi.flp.

Disable all the devices you don't have in -c while you're at it.