Date:      Fri, 25 Mar 2011 17:57:10 -0700
From:      Michael DeMan <freebsd@deman.com>
To:        Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tying down adaX to physical interfaces

Yeah - this is what I was looking for.  I can morph it for mvsch.

In regards to prior post...
The glabel solution works too, but again gets complicated when a regular =
staff person just needs to swap out a drive, has the disk drive in hand =
(which could either not have a glabel on it or maybe has one from =
somewhere else by accident), and just needs to replace a drive.

Thanks!

- mike

On Mar 25, 2011, at 5:38 PM, Kostik Belousov wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 05:21:50PM -0700, Michael DeMan wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>=20
>> I seem to recall that there is a way to do this, but can no longer =
google it.
>>=20
>> Basically, for NCQ support with SATA devices we are using the 'ada' =
driver, which of course has SCSI like behavior.
>>=20
>> With two 8-port disk controllers in the system, we end up in the =
uncomfortable situation where if the box is rebooted with an 'earlier' =
drive in the list, the system boots up with different drives mapped to =
adaX.  This becomes more of a problem with multiple drive controllers =
and not all the ports populated with drives at the start (i.e, add more =
drives later).
>>=20
>> In our case, we have two Marvell controllers, and are doing ZFS =
mirroring with drives off each controller.
>>=20
>> We end up with mvsch.0 through mvsch.15 showing up (16 controller =
interfaces), but with only 10 drives right now, we end up with ada0 =
through ada9.  If we lose a drive and reboot, then we end up with the =
upper ones each being ada(X-1), etc.  If we add more drives, the =
situation becomes even more confusing.
>>=20
>> Is there a way to force at boot time a mapping from the mvsch =
interface to the specific ada disk that the operating system sees?  =
Pretty sure I saw something about this last summer but can't seem to =
find it now.
>>=20
>> What we would like to have, with 10 disks, is them showing up as:
>> ada0, ada1, ada2, ada3, ada4
>> ada8, ada9, ada10, ada11, ada12
>>=20
>> If we add another pair of disks in the future, we would know where to =
physically insert them for ada5 and ada13, etc.