Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 04:52:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, terry@lambert.org, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PnP configuration

> >From The Desk Of Michael Smith :
> > I'd prefer not to debate it either.  I think that it's sufficiently
> > separate that when the time comes it can be relocated without
> > adversely affecting anything at all.  I merely resent the effort
> > that's being put into standalone PnP-for-sound-cards-only work where
> > the same effort could be better spent on a generalised push.
> >

> As far as I know Luigi's PnP efforts are not tied to the sound
> driver and we are using the sound driver as a testbed for PnP support.

Right. People, if you have the time please read and comment the
document on PnP configuration that is in my sound code snapshot
http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/snd970814.tgz (the file is
sound/doc/pnp.ps.gz).

I think this code could almost go into the source tree, with just a little
more work (which I am doing at the moment). The PnP code does not harm if it
finds a peripheral which is not supported, and it works if a
peripheral is supported (yes it assumes a working PnP bios, but
that problem will be overocme soon with a manual override mechanism).

	Cheers
	Luigi