Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 2008 01:34:11 +0200
From:      Aragon Gouveia <aragon@phat.za.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Curtis Penner <curtis.penner2@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall is still inadequate after all of these years

Hi,

As just another FreeBSD user....

| By Curtis Penner <curtis.penner2@gmail.com>
|                                          [ 2008-07-03 00:51 +0200 ]
> When you do a system install it is like jumping back to the 80's.  The
> front-end is like something from the DOS days.  You have to be tech
> savvy to know what you want to do.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion of the installer.  Contrary to
your opinion, I cringe on the odd occasions that I have to install linux or
windows.  Sysinstall might have some quirks and look dated, but FreeBSD is
the only OS I can install in less than 5-10 minutes AND still install only
what I want the way I want it.  I really hope the new installers that are
in the pipeline don't change that.

> You have to search out all the
> variations of the applications (tedious and unnecessary) to get a full
> package -- Examples: Postgres, PHP, etc.

Again, disagree.  Sounds like you don't like freedom of choice much.  For me
it's one of the best parts of FreeBSD's package management.

> I am looking forward to a time when installing BSD is point and click
> with not much understanding of what is going on (unless I want to go
> advance and do special custom work).

I'm not!

If you don't care what is going on, why does it matter that you have
FreeBSD installed?  Pick something like PCBSD or even Ubuntu - as easy and
thought free as it comes.

Regards,
Aragon