Date:      05 Nov 1999 02:25:02 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PROCFS Space

courtney@whtz.com writes:

> hey everyone-
>
> I've got a FreeBSD 3.2 box running here are our main mail server, and I've
> just noticed that I am at 100% capacity on my procfs portion of my
> drive...I''m getting errors about no free disk space when I try and add
> users, etc.  How can I make BSD know it's got plenty of space, there is 3
> GB free on the rest of the drive....

The /proc filesystem is a pseudo-filesystem.  It does not actually take
space in any of your disks, save an i-node or two.

If you're running out of space though, it might be a good idea to check
where all that space has gone.  Use the df(1) command to see which of
your filesystems are getting full.  Since it is adduser that fails, I
suspect that your / fs is full?  Use the command

	# cd /
	# df -sk *

to see which subdirectory of / is using a lot of most space.  Use the
same `df' command in subdirectories, until you spot places where you
could save some space.  With 3 Gb of space, I would expect about 2 Gb to
be free on an installation of FreeBSD with X11, and all the sources,
along with a couple of compiled kernels and all their objects (this is
actually my setup).

If you have installed a lot of stuff from /usr/ports you might consider
removing all the tarballs from /usr/ports/distfiles and all the work
directories under /usr/ports with:

	# cd /usr/ports
	# find . -name work -type d -exec /bin/rm -fr '{}' \;

That will save you some space.  At least it did for me...

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]