Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:40:53 -0400
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc and FreeBSD [was: Re: Which GCC in CURRENT? [Was: Re: Wine  update]]

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> Upgrades are not painless at all on FreeBSD, because of some additional
> hacks you/we are using. See the following two PRs for examples that cost
> me quite some time each (and are still open):
>
>   http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=20966
>   http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=21983
>
> If the first PR is not resolved in time for the GCC 3.0 release process
> (which is not that far ahead), FreeBSD might even be dropped from the list
> of secondary evaluation platforms for GCC 3.0. :-(

This worries me. We should not alienate ourself from the development of
"our" toolchain. Ideally, we should have no FreeBSD patches of our own.

> In any case, the bug does prevent regular GCC developers and testers from
> using FreeBSD -- not a good thing, either! :-(

Agreed.

> On the other hand, lately David O'Brien has submitted several patches for
> the FreeBSD ports to GCC, most (all?) of which have been reviewed and
> integrated quickly, so there is a good chance that the difference between
> the FreeBSD version of GCC and FSF GCC will be further reduced. :-)

I don't follow the gcc lists too closely. Time... All I know is that
there was a bit more work to do.

David?

> Should any of you have some time to spend, those two PRs I mentioned above

Of course time is always the issue :-)

David: Can you take a look at it, or shall I try to free some time for
this. It sounds important enough from what I understand from Gerald.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org