Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 1996 10:05:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@stretch.cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Robert Nicholson <robert@elastica.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ownership of /dev/console?

Robert Nicholson said:

> Hi, I'm using xterm -C and I'd like to know how generally controlling
> ownership of /dev/console is performed. I want to capture the output
> of the console ... Is there a problem doing that?
>
> Currently, I've had to chown /dev/console to the login user.

	If you actually login on the console or vtty, you can have
devices chowned to the login user using /etc/fbtab.  It has a man page.
I don'tbelieve this approach works for xdm.

	Adrian

adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
System Administrator                 --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!
NVL, NIIMS and Telemedicine Labs       -->>| For an application and information
Member: League for Programming Freedom   ->| see: http://www.lpf.org/