Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:34:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Kevin Bracey <kbracey@e-14.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Old IP addresses hanging around in routes

I cahcked in a set of changes for this back in 1997
they are in a branch marked "WHISTLE_NET_BRANCH" or something similar.

use the CVS web interface to check some of teh files (like if.c)
to find the tag and then exctact out the differences..
I have decided that I will resurect those changes some day and apply the m
to current..
what they do is:

reference count a lot more networking structures.
remove all references from routes directly to interfaces (they go via the
ifaddrs only)

add code to notice when ifaddrs are invalid and remove the reference.
(the ifaddr is freed when it's last reference goes away)

julian