Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:56:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John H. Baldwin" <jobaldwi@cslab.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Recoverving/reviving a 'stale' subdisk under vinum

I've read the vinum(4) and vinum(8) manpages as well as the webpages at
www.lemis.com/~grog/vinum.html, and while they are very good as far as
setup and configuration info, I haven't been able to find a lot of info
about recovering.  I have a stale subdisk that I can't get to recover no
matter how many different start commands I try.  I've tried starting the
volume, the plex, and the subdisk itself with no success.

# vinum list
Configuration summary

Drives:         3 (4 configured)
Volumes:        1 (4 configured)
Plexes:         1 (8 configured)
Subdisks:       3 (16 configured)

D vinumdrive0           State: up       Device /dev/da1s1e      Avail:
0/8683 MB (0%)
D vinumdrive1           State: up       Device /dev/da2s1e      Avail:
0/8683 MB (0%)
D vinumdrive2           State: up       Device /dev/da3s1e      Avail:
0/8683 MB (0%)

V ftp_mirror            State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:         25
GB

P ftp_mirror.p0       S State: corrupt  Subdisks:     3 Size:         25
GB

S ftp_mirror.p0.s0      State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       8683
MB
S ftp_mirror.p0.s1      State: up       PO:      256 kB Size:       8683
MB
S ftp_mirror.p0.s2      State: stale    PO:      512 kB Size:       8683
MB

# vinum start ftp_mirror.p0.s2
Can't start ftp_mirror.p0.s2: Device busy (16)

# vinum start ftp_mirror.p0
Can't start ftp_mirror.p0.s2: Device busy (16)

# vinum start ftp_mirror
ftp_mirror is already up

# vinum stop
vinum unloaded

# vinum start
Warning: defective objects

P ftp_mirror.p0       S State: corrupt  Subdisks:     3 Size:         25
GB
S ftp_mirror.p0.s2      State: stale    PO:      512 kB Size:       8683
MB

Any help is greatly appreciated.

John Baldwin
jobaldwi@cslab.vt.edu