Date:      Sun, 22 May 2011 23:23:41 -0400
From:      Xn Nooby <xnooby@gmail.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Not able to install firefox 4 from 8.2 stable packages

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Xn Nooby <xnooby@gmail.com> wrote:
>> =A0 # portsnap fetch update
>> =A0 # cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster
>> =A0 # make install
>> =A0 # portmaster --check-depends
>> =A0 # portmaster www/firefox
>
> Thanks!, that worked, though I had to do a 'rehash' after the 'make insta=
ll'.

>> There is work going on to change this situation -- search the list
>> archives for discussion of pkgNG and PC-PSD's .pci format if you're
>> interested. In the mean time, many people find that installing
>> everything from source via the ports is the least frustrating method,
>> albeit at the cost of spending more time running compilations.
>
> I started using the approach of installing everything from ports, but
> it takes a long time to build things like xorg and firefox. Even
> though I don't like PC-BSD using KDE, their PBI system seems to
> circumvent these problems. =A0I will read up on pkgNG, too. =A0Thanks!

I got flash working with Firefox 4, there was apparently a bad
checksum in the ports tree.  I had to add a "make makesum" command.
My installation steps for Flash ended up being:

# kldload linux
# cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-f10
# make install clean
# echo 'linux_enable=3D"YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
# echo 'linproc /usr/compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0' >> /etc/fstab
# mount -a
# cd /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper
# make install clean
# cd /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10
# make makesum
# make install clean

Now I can integrate this into my install script.

thanks!