Date:      Sat, 13 May 2006 17:22:57 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        fbsd <fbsd@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: phpMyAdmin-2.8.0.3

On Fri, 2006-May-12 17:18:35 -0400, fbsd wrote:
>Suggesting that the only way the ports system will function
>correctly
>is to download the complete ports collection is just crazy.

The only way to build your own ports is to download the entire
ports tree.  If you do not have a complete ports tree, you are
on your own.  This has always been implied but has recently been
made an explicit requirement.

If you don't want to have to install the complete ports tree, you
are free to download pre-compiled packages.

>I have enough experience using the ports/packages over the different
>3.x and 4.x releases to know that what you are suggesting is not
>required or mandatory.

You may have been lucky in the past.  The current official position of
the Project is that you _must_ have a complete and consistent ports
tree to build ports.

--
Peter Jeremy