Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 11:05:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Jake <jake@checker.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot single with new loader?

:> Yes you can ... umount /usr ... umount /var ... etc
:>
:
:If you copy tunefs to /usr or something, you can boot off the
:install floppy, use the fixit floppy to get a shell,
:and the run it on your unmounted root.  A picobsd disk
:also works well.
:
:I've even got softupdates enabled on my vinum volume   :)

    If you have a bootable FreeBSD CD (I forget which one it is),
    try typing '-C' from the boot: prompt and see if it will boot the kernel
    into the CD with nothing else mounted.  This gives you a *full* shell
    from which you can play with your disk configuration.

						-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)