Date:      Fri, 4 Sep 1998 16:35:31 +0100
From:      "Raymond Hunter" <raymond@acc-uk.com>
To:        "'Adam Maloney'" <adam@iexposure.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: bpfilter

.
>Hello,
>
>I have a FreeBSD machine setup as a secondary DNS and sendmail fallback for
>my network.  I'd also like to use the machine as a network monitor.  I
>downloaded a package (trafshow-2.0) which requires the berkely packet
filter
>to be enabled.
>
>In the FreeBSD handbook, there's a paragraph that talks about the bpfilter
>and how it can be a security risk to your network.  What are the security
>risks of running bpfilter, and how should I set it up?
>
>Thanks,
>Adam Maloney

.with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

Thr security risks relate to people who have root access on your box. People
with such access can use sniffer programs to listen for plain text passwords
etc. POP3 would thus be affected. If you and other admins are the only
people with root, there is no security risk.