Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2008 22:49:21 +0000
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        Doug C <doug.cross@mamaraeng.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: X86 cpu without a FPU - Vortex86sx

Doug C wrote:
> I am trying to build  FreeBSD 5.5 or 6.3 to run on a board that uses the DMP
> Vortex86sx SOC. This chip looks like a 486sx, no FPU. Is there a way to make
> a build that uses software emulation for the FPU, like the old days?  I do
> not see anything in the .cong file that helps. I am trying to end up using
> pfSense with it. Or what old version could work with this chip?
>

> Thanks for any help.
>

> Doug Cross

There was a thread about this last month - see
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2008-January/022935.html
I think the outcome was that it's certainly possible to get the userland
built with FPU emulation but there's more work required in the kernel
since the MATH_EMULATE/GPL_MATH_EMULATE options were removed in 2003.

--
Bruce