Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:57:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cur{thread/proc}, or not.

:http://www.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/refcount.patch
:
:It's slightly different than this in that refcount_drop() returns a boolean

    Ok, I've read it.  Ick.  Could you reorgranize it a bit to do something
    slightly different?

    Make sys/refcount.h provide a machine portable set of routines.  Allow
    the machine/refcount.h headers to override the portable set.  This way
    an architecture does *NOT* need to implement routines for yet another
    header file (or duplicate a lot of code over and over again).

    This business about INVARIANTS makes no sense to me.  INVARIANTS should
    not totally change the way the refcount API works.  It certainly should
    not result in different structures!  If we are embedding ref counts
    in every structure in the system simply setting or clearing INVARIANTS
    blows up our compatibility, which is bad.

    Also, I don't see any reason to embed yet another mutex in a structure.
    The ref count should be a simple int.  Use a pool of mutexes.  If you like
    I'll commit a set of generic pool mutexes that you can simply call.  How
    about that?

							-Matt