Date:      Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:40:49 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Bootstrapping Raid 5 w/GEOM

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 05:11:18PM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a box with 4 x 120 GB EIDE drives which I want to convert to
> FreeBSD 5.4 ( it's an old SNAP 4500 from Snap Appliance, now owned by
> Adaptec, running a custom build of Linux)
>
> I want to setup software Raid 5 , and I want it to affect ALL
> partitions, including / (so if any one of the drives fails, it will
> still boot up properly). I am planning on using GEOM, but open to
> suggestions.
>
> I've been searching and cant find any pointers on how to set this up
> properly. I've been reading http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/ , but
> this is works for RAID 1.
>
> Could anyone offer any insights / ideas / pointers (or step by step if
> you so feel inclined to :-) ) on how to set this up?

I don't think it's possible -- the loader doesn't know about the mirror
even in a mirrored / setup; it justs treats one of the disks of the mirror
as 'the boot disk'. It's not until the kernel is loaded that gvinum RAID-5
can do something.

So, in your case, the loader would read random RAID-5 data instead of
a kernel and refuse to boot.

IE, it's not possible until someone writes a RAID-5 capable loader.

I would advise you to either use gmirror for booting, or define a few
gvinum mirror plexes (it is possible to boot from a mirrored gvinum
setup although it's tricky to get right).

--Stijn

--
Help Wanted: Telepath. You know where to apply.