Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:32:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cross platform bookmarks and address books?

On 21 Feb 2002, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com> writes:
> > So how does one add to the list easily?  Paste the url's in to a
> > form?  Just curious..
>
> Obviously.

It would be nice if all browsers could have hooks to allow adding
bookmarks and viewing bookmarks using some standard format. Then you could
write whatever tool you want to manage it.

So then you wouldn't have to "paste .. in to a form". For example,
selecting "add bookmark" could send the URL, title, etc. to some helper
application.

And clicking "view bookmarks" (or whatever) would run the helper
application so it could either output the top level links or categories or
it could run as a standalone application.

These helper tools could handle the datafile locally or remotely.

It seems like I heard that konqueror allows use of some "standard"
bookmark format.

This would all seem valuable to me. I should write some patches for links
and lynx to use some helper tools. And then write some scripts that
compare new .netscape/bookmarks.html with current bookmarks data and merge
in new; and also regenerate netscape bookmarks.html from master list.

(For remote access, you could simply point your whatever-browser to some
generated HTML list of your bookmarks and use a simple CGI form to update
if needed.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/