Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2000 11:08:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
To:        ym g <ymg@graffiti.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any opinions about DLink DFE-530TX 10/100 card ?

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, ym g wrote:

>Hi, I am building a relatively low-cost machine with relatively decent performance. It is primarily going to be serving static pages, some audio and maybe some video. The components I am considering are
>
>P3/450 with 256MB ram and 6GB IDE. 3Ware 2channel ATA raid with 2 disks in RAID-0 config. D-Link DFE -L530TX 10/100 network card
>
>I haven't heard much about the D-Link 530TX. They are mentioned as supported in 4.1 and are quite cheap. Are they reasonable in performance

For a server I highly recommend you buy one of Intel's 10/100 adaptors
with a 82557, 8, or 9 chip for $35-40ish online.  The performance and
reliability are not met by any other 100bt nic in my opinion and you
usually get what you pay for (I've had several DFE-530's and they all seem
to suck in freebsd on my computers, they timeout and stop talking for
random amounts and time etc.)  To get an idea of what the internet thinks
the value of the DFE-530 cards are, try a search on ebay.  They only go
for a few dollars =P