Date:      Thu, 29 May 2003 21:01:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
To:        Tom Parquette <tparquet@twcny.rr.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Having problems with fixit floppy mounting filesystems

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Tom Parquette wrote:

> I was installing an additional hard disk and I believe I commented out
> the wrong line in fstab or typo'ed something.  The /usr filesystem is
> not mounted.  The machine will not boot to a command prompt so I can
> repair it.  It complains bitterly at boot time about not finding things
> in the /usr/...... directories.

don't worry, it can be fixed.

1. Reboot your computer and when the boot's countdown  starts
   press space bar.

2. type:
		boot -s

3. your computer will stop asking for a shell that will be used
   in single-user mode.  just press enter to accept  /bin/sh

4. type
		swapon -a
		mount -a

   of course, /usr will not be mounted because you made something
   wrong with your /etc/fstab.

5. perhaps the system will ask you to fsck your file systems.
   do it.  you can add your the option "-y".

		fsck /dev/ad0s1a
		fsck /dev/ad0s1e
		fsck /dev/ad0s1g

5. type
		cat /etc/fstab

   to see where /usr is mounted... [hope it is there].
   and mount /usr manually:

		mount /dev/ad0s1e /usr

   [ok, perhaps it is not ad0s1e, choose the proper partition]

6. edit /etc/fstab with your favorite editor, fix it, and save it.

7. reboot

Hope it helps.