Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 21:19:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with regestring domain name

Lee Johnston wrote:

> Hi I wounder if anyone can help:
>
> I've been told by two people two different things about regestring a
> domain name.
>
> One person says you must add the domain zone files to the DNS server and
> alter named.boot accordingly and then email Internic requesting a link
> from the root servers to the DNS Server hosting the zone files.
>
> The other says you must email internic before altering the DNS server
> files.
>
> Who is right???

The order really doesn't matter.  In the past, when I've registered a
domain, I've generally done it this way:

1. Prepare the InterNIC registration form.  (See `http://rs.internic.net/')
   In it, you'll specify a primary and at least one secondary name server.
   Judging from your email, one of your machines will be the primary.

2. Send the template to `hostmaster@internic.net'.  Be sure to send in
   your $100. :-/

3. Add the appropriate DNS entries to the primary and secondary name
   servers.  Note that it doesn't matter whether the NIC has fulfilled the
   domain creation request yet.  The machines on your network will think
   the domain exists because they're looking at your DNS, and your DNS
   claims that it's primary for the domain.  The outside world *won't* know
   it exists, because it isn't in the NIC's tables yet, so no one knows to
   even ask your DNS about it.

4. Wait for the NIC to acknowledge the domain creation.

You can do #3 first, if you want.  It doesn't matter.  Think it through;
you'll see why. :-)

Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
Conscience is the inner voice which warns us that someone may be looking.
        -- H. L. Mencken, "Sententiae," The Vintage Mencken, 1955.