Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 2003 00:33:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        refugee@vt.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devd/devctl

In message: <20030912212606.3d04f3ed.refugee@vt.edu>
            Suleiman Souhlal <refugee@vt.edu> writes:
: I was wondering if it would be a good idea to modify devd and
: devctl for them to handle other events than attaching and detaching
: devices.. For example, they could be used to mark a network
: interface as down, when the network cable is pulled out, and run
: dhclient when it is put back in. I think there are other
: applications too.

Yes.  that has been the plan for some time now.  However, dhclient is
really lame in a lot of ways.  Martin Blapp has made it a lot better
of lates.  In geral, I tend to believe that I shouldn't fix bugs in
dhclient with devd things.  However, a more general trend to more
event types would be good because a device arriving isn't quite the
same as a network interface arriving...

Warner