Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 03:20:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        asami@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   for review: bsd.port.mk refetch

Did anyone have any objections to the refetch patch I submitted on Sept.11?
One person volunteered for testing, but unfortunately I forget who it was
because of lost email... Perhaps some other people have also been using this
or a variant, please speak up.

My original patch is archived, found below this URL...
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/search.cgi?words=review+AND+refetch&source=freebsd-ports&max=25

It would also be an idea to implement a refetch: target (for instance, as a
copy of fetch: with the -r flag enforced).

This is in bsd.port.mk (which has been declared sacred ground), which is why
I am submitting it for comment and approval. These changes provide extra needed
functionality in the case of network failures and do not interfere with normal
operation.

For amusement, this is what fetch reported to me just now (over a dialup modem)

Receiving X32src-2.tgz (14147716 bytes): 100%
14147716 bytes transfered in 0.2 seconds  (74676.51 K/s)

of course the file was mostly transferred the previous time. This probably
saved an hour or two of repeated download.

On another subject, might it be an idea to let fetch report M/s and G/s where
appropriate? (to give 1 to 3 digits before the decimal point).

--
Adam David <adam@veda.is>