Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:35:09 +0000
From:      Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promise SATA300 TX4302 feedback?

> > Your motherboard needs to be PCI 2.2 or 2.3 complaint according to the
> > manual (you need to tell us what the board is for us to help here).
> > Most should be unless they are very old (later Pentium III Coppermine
> > onwards should be ok).
>
> Thanks Mark -- that's exactly what I was asking for :-)
>
> Is there a way to check this without physical access to the box? dmesg
> doesn't seem to contain this info; pciconf is hot helpful as well.

If you know the make and model of the mainboard you could see if the
specifications are online.  Try the manufacturer's web site, or ask
yahoo/google/...

If the card you select isn't universal Voltage, you'll need to know if
the slot is 5 Volt or 3.3 Volt.  The keying is supposed to tell you, but
some mainboards have a jumper to select the PCI Voltage, and I don't
think moving the jumper changes the keying.  :-)