Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:17:08 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [RFC] splitting of conf/NOTES

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, David O'Brien wrote:

> I can now create a sparc64 LINT kernel with the patches at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~obrien/sp64notes.diff.  The essence of this
> patch is to split sys/conf/NOTES into NOTES, NOTES.bt, NOTES.ext2fs,
> NOTES.ps2, NOTES.raid, and NOTES.syscons.  Each /sys/<arch>/conf/Makefile
> now looks like:
>
>     NOTES=	../../conf/NOTES \
>             ../../conf/NOTES.bt \
>             ../../conf/NOTES.ext2fs \
>             ../../conf/NOTES.ps2 \
>             ../../conf/NOTES.raid \
>             ../../conf/NOTES.syscons \
>             NOTES
>
>     LINT: ${NOTES} ../../conf/makeLINT.sed
>             cat ${NOTES} | sed -E -n -f ../../conf/makeLINT.sed > LINT
>
> Any comments before I commit this?

Please don't commit this.  Splitting NOTES into 2 files (for each arch)
already made it harder to maintain and use.

Parts of the above split is wrong anyway:
- ext2fs is inherently MI.  It doesn't compile on some arches since it has
  some optimizations which are only implemented (in asm) on i386's and
  alphas's.  These optimizations are bogus -- slightly (;-) more important
  filesystem like ffs just use C code for the corresponding things
  (scanning bitmaps).
- syscons is supposed to be MI.  If it weren't MI, then it wouldn't be in
  /sys/dev ;-).
- bt and some other devices may be fairly bus-dependent and have no future,
  but they can be removed from ../../conf/NOTES using a whole 1 `nodevice'
  line (but don't do too much of this or ../../conf/NOTES files would grow
  to have almost as much duplication as separate files).

Bruce