Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:04:00 -0500
From:      Neal Hogan <nealhogan@gmail.com>
To:        Adam Vandemore <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupdate xorg-server

In light of Adam's comment and thinking about the comment he's responding
to, I realize that I may have been rather obnoxious. I appreciate Adam
setting that aside to give me and the list some of his time. I'm rather new
to fBSD (obvious) and I've got my parent's machine on it, which is hundreds
of miles away and they have put in requests that led me to upgrade their
system, including ports (and when X gets messed up from a remote position,
it can be frustrating). So, I apologize if my comments came across in such a
way that annoyed you. Not being a dev (or anywhere close), I have little
room to act that way.

But, I wonder what the most efficient way is to update ports. I appreciate
Adam's point about the fact that portupgrade (and portmanager and
portmaster) are ports themselves and are going to not be as reliable as what
is in base. However, the fBSD documentation on updating ports (i.e., the
handbook) only suggests the above three as ways to update ports. Is there a
way to update ports from a base app? Given that a basic setup will have
quite a few ports (hundreds), I was wondering if there was another way to
update all (including their dependencies), rather that a one-by-one *make
update* or *portupgrade*.