Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 1998 08:21:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        joes@shasta.wstein.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User Quotas

> > I see numerous references (Handbook, The Complete FreeBSD, etc) to the
> > fact that quotas are "buggy" and should be used only sparingly.
> >
> > To what extent are quotas "buggy", what are the bugs, and are there any
> > plans to correct them?
>
> If the quota file is not on the FS to which the quotas are applied
> and/or there is a user/group quota that applies to the quota file,
> then you can deadlock.
>
> To avoid this, you should use one of the "cookbooks" for correct
> quota setup that have been posted to -current or -hackers over
> the years.
>
> Do not expect quotas to work properly over NFS; the lease management
> code does not enforce distributed cache coherency correcly because
> of missing assertions (see other discussions of NFS).  You can get
> around this by forcing the use of NFSv2, which effectively disables
> thes (and many other) optimizations.
>

> > Where do I look if I want to tinker? (Obviously, the source code, but
> > where are they implemented?)
>
> Ideally, you would tinker with VFS stacking.  The best way to
> implement quotas is to implement them as a stacking layer, so that
> they can apply to all FS's.

And: Never use quotas with extremly large (or negative) UIDs. The quota
system is unusable if large UIDs are used because the quota.user file is
an array of structures where the index represents the UID and the structure
is 32 byte. When using UID 4294967294 (-2) as PCNFS with user nobody
does it, you can imagine the theorethical size of quota.user.

See also PR 2325.

But, apart of that, quotas work great here (using a 18GB drive).

	-Andre