Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:37:30 +0000
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
To:        Roberto Nunnari <roberto.nunnari@supsi.ch>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: patches and uname -a

--EVh9lyqKgK19OcEf

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 03:26:22PM +0100, Roberto Nunnari wrote:
>=20
> Ceri Davies wrote:
> >
> >On 12 Jan 2006, at 12:32, Roberto Nunnari wrote:
> >
> >>Hello.
> >>
> >>Please also answer to my mailbox as I'm not on the list.
> >>
> >>After upgrading by sources and build world, uname correctly
> >>reports the current version of the system
> >>
> >>Today for the first time I applied all the relevant patches
> >>instead and all went well. The box was 5.3-RELEASE-p23.
> >>
> >>The applied patches should correspond to 5.3-RELEASE-p24, but:
> >>
> >># uname -r
> >>5.3-RELEASE-p23
> >>
> >>and:
> >>
> >># sysctl kern.version
> >>kern.version: FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p23 #0: Tue Jan  3 15:40:08 CET 2006
> >>
> >>I'd like to be able to see the correct version using
> >>'uname -r'..
> >>
> >>Does anybody know how can you make uname report the
> >>real version? What if you recompile the kernel after
> >>patching the system? Would that do the trick?
> >

> >Recompiling the kernel is the correct way to change the output of =20
> >uname(1), but before you do so, you should be aware that that patch =20
> >number is taken from the BRANCH variable in src/sys/conf/newvers.sh.  =
=20
> >Check that it says "5.3-RELEASE-p24" before you waste time  recompiling=
=20
> >the kernel.
> >
> >Ceri
>
> Thank you Ceri and Jaap for your time.
>=20
> Ceri, edit src/sys/conf/newvers.sh and replace
>=20
> BRANCH=3D"RELEASE-p23"
> with
> BRANCH=3D"RELEASE-p24"
>=20
> would be enough??

That would work, but if you don't already have that string then there is
a possibility that you don't have all the patches, so please only change
it if you are %100 sure that you have.  I cannot stress that enough.

Ceri
--=20
not sure about the former.			  -- Einstein (attrib.)

--EVh9lyqKgK19OcEf

--EVh9lyqKgK19OcEf--