Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:36:01 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ECC RAM useless with FreeBSD?

> =

> I had thought that ECC RAM would enable recognition of memory
> failures (in addition to automatically fixing simple one-bit
> errors).  I thought that the chipset would cause a CPU trap or
> something like that if an unrecoverable RAM error occurs, so
> the OS could take some appropriate action (at least produce
> a log message).  Am I wrong?  It seems to just fail silently,
> possibly even continuing to use wrong data in calculations,
> just as if there was only non-ECC RAM.

We don't, at this point in time, do anything with unrecoverable ECC =

errors to the best of my knowledge.

> Is this a know problem, a bug, or do I just expect too much?

I guess it counts as a "known problem", yes.  If you haven't thrown your =

flaky DIMM out, it would be _very_ useful to someone that actually wants =

to try to develop and test this sort of code.  If nobody contacts you =

directly, could you send it to me?  FTL will hold onto it until someone =

has a use for it.

-- =