Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2012 15:47:13 +0100
From:      Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [stable 9] panic on reboot: ipmi_wd_event()

On 8/1/12, Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 8/1/12, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> The watchdog pat without the locks is not easy to do because we
>>> register the watchdog callbacks in eventhandlers, which are indeed
>>> locked (and you may also end up racing against watchdog detach, if you
>>> don't use any lock at all).
>>
>> No, eventhandlers go through several hoops to not hold any locks while
>> the eventhandler functions are running.  It seems in this case that a
>> lock is held in a higher layer (sched_sync()) and that is what I was
>> talking about.  Yes, it is the 'sync_mtx' that is held.  Something like
>> this
>
> No, EVENTHANDLER_INVOKE() acquires eventhandler internal locks.
> Look at eventhandler_find_list() for details.

Oh, but I guess you misunderstood me -- I didn't mean to say that
eventhandler callbacks run with eventhandlers lock held, I meant to
say that that it would be nice if EVENTHANDLER_INVOKE() could run
lockless. This would have avoided some issues in special context (I
recall I had some issues at work years ago, but they could have been
predating the STOP_SCHEDULER() patch and in DDB).

Attilio