Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 2010 18:21:27 +0000
From:      krad <kraduk@googlemail.com>
To:        Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
Cc:        Wes Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org Questions -" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Replacing disks in a ZFS pool

2010/1/8 Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>

> Steve Bertrand wrote:

> but

> pool

> would
> will
> system,
> to a
> >>>

> >> Surely it would be better to attach the drives either individually or as
> >> matching vdev (assuming they can all run at once), then break the mirror
> >> after its resilvered.  Far less work and far less liekly to miss
> something.
> >>
> >> What I have done with my system is label the drives up with a coloured
> >> sticker then create a glabel for the device. I then add the glabels to
> the
> >> zpool. Makes it very easy to identify the drives.
> >
> > Ok. Unfortunately, the box only has four SATA ports.
> >
> > Can I:
> >
> > - shut down
> > - replace a single existing drive with a new one (breaking the RAID)
> > - boot back up
> > - gpt label the new disk
> > - import the new gpt labelled disk
> > - rebuild array
> > - rinse, repeat three more times
> >

> This seems to work ok:
>
> # zpool offline storage ad6
> # halt & replace disk, and start machine
> # zpool online storage ad6
> # zpool replace storage ad6
>
> I don't know enough about gpt/gpart to be able to work that into the
> mix. I would much prefer to have gpt labels as opposed to disk names,
> but alas.
>
> fwiw, can I label an entire disk (such as ad6) with gpt, without having
> to install boot blocks etc?
>
> I was hoping it would be as easy as:
>
> # gpt create -f ad6
> # gpt label -l disk1 ad6
>
> ...but it doesn't work.
>
> Neither does:
>
> # gpart create -s gpt ad6
> # gpart add -t freebsd-zfs -l disk1 ad6
>
> I'd like to do this so I don't have to manually specify a size to use. I
> just want the system to Do The Right Thing, which in this case, would be
> to just use the entire disk.
>
> Steve
>

> > If so, is there anything I should do prior to the initial drive
> > replacement, or will simulating the drive failure be ok?
> >
> > Steve

glabel label red ad6
the device will /dev/label

eg from my machine

  pool: zdump
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: scrub completed after 0h31m with 0 errors on Mon Jan  4 01:54:56
2010
config:

        NAME            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zdump           ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror        ONLINE       0     0     0
            label/blue  ONLINE       0     0     0
            label/red  ONLINE       0     0     0