Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 14:26:02 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Oli <oli@blacktrap.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipf/ipnat question

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Oli wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have ipf active as firewall on my internet gateway, with ipnat for the
> address translation. The gateway has basically 2 NICs, one to the cable-modem
> (dc0) and the other to my home LAN(dc1 -> 192.168.2.0/24), providing internet
> access to comps on the LAN.
>
> I can't figure how to get MSN special features like VoiceChat, WhiteBoard and
> such to work. I know the different ports MSN uses but is there a way to make
> it work through the gateway? My ipfilter rules are basically the default,
> blocking unused ports below 1024 and invalid stuff and allowing anything dc0
> proto tcp/udp with port > 1023.

IIRC, those features use H.323 which uses embedded IPs in the payload of
the packet. I don't know why some people still design protocols assuming
everyone has a valid, public IP. FTP was made when that (maybe) was true, but
h323 came when private nets behind NAT boxes where the rule. Some people
never learn.

There is an experimental builtin h323 proxy in ipnat, but I haven't tested it
myself. Search the ipf mailing list at http://false.net/ipfilter
for h323, you may get some useful info there.

Hope this helps

				Fer